What is Phototherapy?
Narrowband phototherapy is a safe and effective treatment for autoimmune skin diseases and is considered a first-line treatment for many conditions such as psoriasis, vitiligo and eczema. It’s safe enough for pregnant women and children to use, and has none of the serious side effects associated with competing biological drug therapies.
How can Phototherapy Benefit my Practice?
Adding phototherapy to your practice not only allows you to treat your patients with photo-responsive skin diseases, but it also offers an additional revenue source that reimburses up to $500 a week or more per patient. (see details here)
The treatment is very easy to administer and Daavlin’s product line ranges from full-body to hand and foot units to high intensity targeted devices, to offer you a variety of units to fit your needs. Daavlin can provide you with information regarding reimbursement strategies and annual revenue projections.
Click here to try our Revenue Calculator.
How does Phototherapy Benefit my Patients?
Four out of 10 psoriasis patients are not currently under the care of a physician for their condition. Some of the reasons are the patient’s dissatisfaction with their treatment or progress, and some patients have mentioned dissatisfaction with their physicians because of the lack of attention, emotional support, or empathy. (1)
A majority of the alternative treatments require regular injections and have severe side effects such as serious nervous system disease such as multiple sclerosis, lymphoproliferative malignancies, and new-onset, or exacerbation of, congestive heart failures. (2)
In addition, biologic therapies are contraindicated for many patients, such as pregnant and nursing mothers, patients with liver or kidney disease and coexisting immunocompromising conditions.
Phototherapy provides an alternative to patients that is painless, safe, effective, and can be administered to children and pregnant women, but it is not always as well known to the general population. There is an opportunity to expand physician services targeting all patients (especially the patients that shy away from the more drastic medications available) to treat them through the use of phototherapy.
For decades, statistics have shown consistently high rates of clearance for Narrow Band UVB phototherapy and it has a median clearance time of only 4-5 weeks. That is twice as fast as Enbrel, Stelara, Humira or Remicade. In addition, patients who stop using phototherapy seldom suffer from the flares or rebounds that are common with other treatments.
It’s also very affordable and the administration of phototherapy by their known physician can be comforting to those using phototherapy for the first time. Phototherapy may also be prescribed for home use and the one-time cost of a home unit is reasonably priced and covered by Medicare and most insurance companies.
Other treatments such as biological drug therapies can cost more than the price of the average car each year, putting them out of range for some patients.
Keep in mind, your patients’ safety is important to us. We comply with all FDA regulations and ISO requirements regarding medical devices. Daavlin’s facility is ISO 13485 approved and all of Daavlin’s devices have been reviewed and cleared by the FDA as Class II medical devices.
Full Body Solutions
Daavlin’s two-door design is space efficient but the interior is large enough to comfortably accommodate your largest patients.
- Crystal Clear Acrylic – The NeoLux full body phototherapy cabinet features Daavlin’s new Crystal Clear acrylic interior, which protects from accidental lamp contact by the patient and provides unobstructed light delivery.
- Maximum Efficiency – The NeoLux design uses as few as 40 lamps. Fewer lamps mean lower maintenance and electrical costs.
- Crystal Cool Temperature Management – The Crystal Cool temperature management system provides an optimum environment for the patient and extends lamp life.
- Patient Comfort – The cabinet is spacious and open at the top, while using less office space than competitor models.
- SmartTouch™ Technology – NeoLux features SmartTouch™ technology, Daavlin’s proprietary control system that provides a host of benefits to the practice and the patient.
- Flexible Design – You can select from numerous custom color and design options to seamlessly blend into your office.
A powerful and versatile, specifically designed for offices with limited space.
- UV Series combines space-saving design with maximum efficiency.
- Twenty-four high output lamps mean short treatment times in a compact space.
- Patient platform and optional cooling fans are available to maximize clinical outcome and patient comfort during treatment.
Makes full body phototherapy treatment practical in offices with limited space or patient flow.
- 7 Series devices are specifically designed to provide full-body treatment in a small space.
- With advanced technology, including integrating dosimetry, the 7 series is both accurate and convenient.
Partial Body Solutions
A convenient, versatile and technologically advanced system for treatment of photo-responsive diseases of the hands and feet.
- M Series hand and foot devices are smaller and lighter weight than comparable competitive units.
- The use of new, high efficiency lamps means that treatment times are dramatically shorter as well.
- The M Series features UV Transmitting acrylic as the patient contact surface which prevents the patient from coming into contact with the lamps.
A medium-sized, yet powerful and versatile unit.
- 4 Series is available with many different lamp types and configurations.
- Advances in efficiency and versatility have been achieved through engineering and design.
The most powerful portable phototherapy unit on the market.
- 1 Series is a small, portable unit designed for the treatment of localized areas of the body such as the face, hands and feet.
- The unit is light-weight and flexible.
Scalp and Small Area Solutions
A breakthrough in targeted phototherapy for dermatoses of the scalp and localized areas of the body.
- Lumera delivers exceptional comfort, ease of use, and performance and enables you to control – precisely and safely – UVB light delivered through a brush or beam.
- Convenient foot-pedal operation and light-weight attachments relieve fatigue associated with frequent use of hand held devices.
Like the Lumera provides for targeted treatment of localized areas using the fiber optic LiteBrush or LiteSpot beam.
- Levia is designed for patients to use in their home but can also be used in a clinical environment.
- The touch screen operation is simple and easy to use.
- Many insurance companies have specific language in their Medical Policy which defines Lasers and Targeted Lamps as equivalent devices, allowing use of the more favorable billing codes for laser therapy.
Ideal for scalp and spot treatments. It is safe, affordable and powerful.
- DermaPal easily treats difficult to reach areas, commonly seen with inverse psoriasis as well as scalp and spot disease.
Phototherapy Services and Accessories
Daavlin offers a complete line of products and services for your clinical phototherapy needs. Accessories include eyewear, lamps, Dose Patch MED test patches, meters and cleaning supplies as well as special service packages. Daavlin’s Technical Service is unparalleled in the industry with it’s focus on our customers.
Our team of experienced field technicians have worldwide field experience to deliver first class, on-site assistance on any of our devices, computer system, and meters. This is combined with a knowledgeable in-house technical support group is standing by to answer questions. This dedicated, hands-on approach to service sets us apart and gives you peace of mind that we are here to support you. You can depend on our team to be just a phone call away and always ready to respond to your needs. We also offer a wide range of maintenance and extended warranty programs so you can feel confident that your phototherapy equipment will perform reliably for years to come. And, to support your patients who qualify for home devices, Daavlin’s Home Phototherapy Department is unmatched in the industry. Our team is dedicated to supporting the patient and servicing their needs.
(1) “New Kantar Health Study Shows 4 in 10 Patients Do Not See a Physician for Their Condition”, PR Web, June 6, 2013 (2) “Biologics 101”, The Dermatologist, Feb. 2012